DatesFALL SHORT FORMS CONTEST (ages 10-14):
- Deadline extended to November 22!
- January 15 to March 15 2018
- April 15 to May 15 2018
the Claremont Review publishes the best poetry, short stories and visual art by young adults aged 13-19, from anywhere in the English speaking world.
- poetry (up to 3 poems)
- short stories/fiction (up to 2,000 words)
- visual art/photography (up to 6 images)
We accept general submissions online via Submittable only. We do not accept any submissions via email or the post.
We accept one general submission per artist, per year. Any more will be declined, unread. (This does not include contest entries, you can enter these as many times as you like, and still send in a regular entry.)
To submit, you must be aged 13-19 as of the day of your submission, with the exception of our Short Forms Contest for writers age 10-14.
We accept simultaneous submissions, but please withdraw your submission right away if it is accepted for publication elsewhere.
What kind of work we publish
We publish work in many styles that range from traditional to modern. We prefer edgy pieces that take chances, show your commitment to craft, explore real characters, and reveal authentic emotion. Read the samples in our resources or in past issues for a clearer understanding of what we accept.
We strongly encourage readers to subscribe to our magazine, to read, connect with and support youth writing from all over the world.
When you will hear from us
Our editors will try their best to respond to your work within three months. This is not a guarantee. It can take six months or more to hear back from us.
General written submissions that are not accepted will receive light editorial comments. Visual art and contest submissions will not receive comments.
If you are accepted
If your work is accepted, congratulations! You will receive receive $10 CAD per magazine page up to a maximum of $50, or $50 CAD if your artwork appears on the cover.
- Enter as many times as you like
- $10 CAN per entry (if this is more than you are able to pay, email us using the contact form...no one will be turned away for lack of funds)
- One piece of writing per entry
- Each entry must be 14 lines or less (not including title or blank lines), no matter the genre
- Any genre of writing is welcome, including poems, fiction, creative non-fiction, essays, journal entries, haibuns, interviews, or you dream it up
- DO NOT put your name, address or any contact information on the entries themselves, only the writing
- You must be between 10 and 14 years old to submit (as of the date of your entry)
- Please submit only previously unpublished work (on your personal blog or social media page is okay)
- All entries will be judged anonymously and on merit
- Contest submissions are open from Oct 15 - Nov 15
- Shortlist of five announced on December 5 and the winner on December 15
- One winner will receive publication on the website and in our spring edition, a one-year subscription to the Claremont Review, $50 and mentorship with poet Elee Kraljii Gardiner
- By submitting to this contest, you agree that should you be shortlisted, you give the Claremont Review permission to use your art or excerpts of your writing for marketing purposes in the future; and should you win, you give the Claremont review first publishing rights and permission to use your art or excerpts of your writing for marketing purposes in the future
- Submit up to 6 visual arts pieces including paintings, drawings, photography, sculpture, mixed media, etc.
- Send JPEGs that are, at minimum, 300 ppi
- Ensure your digital files are at least 5 inches (12 cm) in length and width
- Be sure your file size is at least 2 MB
- Send each piece as individual attachments named with your last name and the formal title of the piece: JACKSON_TheThreeBirds
- Don’t submit anything that is published already online or in print (your own personal blog or social media pages are ok)
- We prefer pieces that reveal authentic emotion
- Looking at the art in our past issues will give you a clearer understanding of what we accept